I’ve been trying to work out ways of increasing the image scale, for some reason barlows are really working for me – mainly on a quality of image point of view.
Then I remembered eyepiece projection, took me a couple of days to get everything connection with just stuff found in my spares box, but I did get there. it isn’t pretty though
First off some craters that I thought nice as I was looking around.
Clavius, Porter and Blancanus
Then I decided to move onto Jupiter – the difference in image scale is astounding. I have some issues to get around as the image id very dark, maybe a lower power EP or less distance between EP and camera.
One great thing about Jupiter is that it has 4 large moons, combine that with the fact that they are in the same plane as the rest of the solar system means that they regularly go in from of the disc and cast a shadow on Jupiter’s surface.
On the 9th March there was a double shadow transit and a transit AND the GRS.
Jamie and I spent a few hours out side taking AVIs of the event. This is the end result.
This is a single image taken near the start, just to gauge focus / quality etc.
Here is all the kit setup with Jamie holding the game controller that controls the scope.
Saturn wasn’t really worth the effort, and the image that I got confirms that!
It was also the night for the Lunar X, another first for me. Never seen the X before – wasn’t sure that I’d know it if I saw it – but I didn’t really need to worry.
Lastly I’ve just received a new Skyris camera on loan from www.Firstlightoptics.com, cheers Steve :). Installed the new software that came with it for the ICcap and the drivers and noticed that they include Registax 6.7
Having stuck with R5 for sometime I thought I’d install it and give it a go. The following is the same AVI stacked in R5 and R6 using the same saved Wavelets settings.
Had some fun outside with the scope and Jamie came out with me as well which was nice.
Using the DMK21 with Longpass IR blocker and the little Skymax 127we took 31 panes to make up the mosaic. Once I started to put it all together in iMerge it dropped down to 28 panes as three were not needed.
Here are all the individual panes lay out ready for the merging. I thought that this looked quite good
And here is the find result. All panes were around 2200 frames with the best 3-400 used in the stack. A little adjustment to the wavelets in Registax 5, merged in iMerge and then a little tweek in Photoshop.
25GB of data for one little image!! Thee pane top right is particularly poor – but apart from that I’m happy.
Had some nice period of heavy rain today, which seems to have cleared the sky a little. The transparency did seem pretty good tonight, with the sky actually looking dark between the stars.
Not really observed planets enough to know if the seeing was any good or not.
I suddenly remembered that I had a Longpass IR cut filter, which is supposed to block the wavelengths of light that are more prone to seeing issues. Quite happy with the results, so this filter may have helped a little.
This was a 2100 frame (35 seconds) AVI, captured with a DMK21 on a Skymax 127. Using the best 200 frames for the final stack.
Saw the Moon, Jupiter and another planet that I’m not going to mention.
Took some pictures of each and have finished processing the Jupiter ones.
Generally with planet imaging you take a movie, get as many individual frames as you can inside a minute and then use some specialist software to try and counter atmospheric distortions.
You can use the quality settings to control how many frames you use in the final image. This movie was 3600 frames (1minute at 60fps), during processing I used the quality setting 97 (198), quality setting 85 (1500) and all of them (3600) to produce three different images. With the plan to see which method is best.
All images were processed in exactly the same way in Registax 5 and Photoshop CS5.